Call Today
Mark W. Lischwe, P.C.
End The Fear And Frustration

Understanding Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

There are generally considered to be three types of debts in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  The first type would be non-dischargeable debts, or debts that you cannot discharge in bankruptcy, including, but not limited to,  student loans, drunk driving accidents, alimony, child support, debts ordered through a divorce decree, debts incurred through fraud or misrepresentation, recent credit card usage and certain taxes.  The second type would be secured debt.  These are debts owed to creditors that can take back the collateral if you do not make your payments to them, such as motor vehicle loans and real property mortgages.  The third type would be general unsecured dischargeable debt.  These are, generally, debts that you no longer owe upon the discharge of your case.

To learn more and to schedule an appointment with Mark W. Lischwe,  contact us online or call 602-252-7552 to schedule your free initial consultation.

Hiring an Attorney

Filing for bankruptcy without an attorney can be quite daunting and very confusing. It is not only recommended that you have representation throughout the proceeding, but that you hire counsel that has experience in bankruptcy law.  The recent economy has created a multitude of individuals and companies that state they practice in the bankruptcy area or that make many promises for other debt relief alternatives.   It is important to do your research and ask as many questions as you can, such as:

  • How long have they been practicing law?
  • How long have they been practicing bankruptcy law?
  • What are the upfront fees?
  • Will there be any fees due upon completion?
  • What will be the total cost?
  • Do they hold appropriate licenses and insurance?
  • Will I be working with the same attorney throughout my case?
  • Will that attorney be in attendance at my 341 Meeting of Creditors?

Additionally, hiring an attorney should be like hiring any other professional.  You may want to seek a second, or even a third, opinion if you are not completely comfortable with the advice you were given.  You should also make a follow up call or appointment in the event there were questions forgotten or you need clarification of a previous answer.  It will be important that you feel you can communicate with your attorney and that they are familiar with you and your case.

Contact the Firm


Mesa Office
1930 S Alma School Rd
Suite A115
Mesa, AZ 85210

Phone: 480-491-1000
Phoenix Office
2001 E. Campbell Avenue
Suite 103
Phoenix, AZ 85016

Phone: 602-252-7552
Glendale Office
9017 N 57th Dr
Glendale, AZ 85302

Phone: 602-252-7466